Monday, August 1, 2016

A Box Full of Stories

Story is such a source of nurture that we cannot become really true human beings for ourselves and for each other without story--and without finding ways in which to tell it, to share it, to create it, to encourage younger people to create their own story.
Vincent Harding (quoted in Becoming Wise by Krista Tippett)

In CrossFit, affiliates are referred to as boxes. People on the outside understandably think we are a bunch of weirdos with our own language and cultish behavior. We cheer for people exercising, grunt, move heavy objects, and subject ourselves to grueling workouts. There is no attempt to be comfortable. We push ourselves to the limits - dirty and sweaty living our lives by the clock. “3-2-1 Go!” We are a strange crew. But when I step into our box at CrossFit Jane, it is not loud, grunting people that I see walking around mobilizing with PVC pipes and foam rollers. I see stories in human form. There are stories of triumph, fight, transformation, and determination.

Recently, we welcomed a new class of graduates from our Fundamentals program, a required set of introductory classes for all beginners. I stood talking to one of these eager graduates before class one day.
You look around and see people working out, but I look around and see stories. The lady in the back has fought and beat cancer twice. That strong guy over there has lost close to 50 pounds and no longer takes any medications. That lady in the back has become a hero to her teenage daughters by seizing control of her nutrition and building strength; they now refer to her as a “CrossFit Beast.” And over there is a young lady who has scraped and pulled herself out from a pit of lifelong, debilitating depression. You don’t know all these stories yet, but you will learn them and add your own to our narrative.

Outsiders have no way of truly seeing what happens within a community of people all working to better themselves. There is no room for judging or pointing fingers. We are too busy cheering for each other. There is a slogan that we celebrate progress, not perfection. As cliche as it might sound, it is true. We are all on a journey one day at a time.

Awhile back I started a Throwback Thursday (#tbt) campaign to highlight some of the better versions of people within our community. I use the infamous side-by-side before and after pictures and offer a glimpse into their transformation story. Everyone loves a good success story. We love to jump on board and praise people for their hard work. But then a blogger, Dallas Hartwig, who I really admire and respect, wrote that he does not believe in before and after shots. They are too focused on the physical appearance, disregarding inner health and wellness. Oops. This idea really stopped me in my tracks. By celebrating transformations, was I contributing to a society obsessed with body image? Was I perpetuating unhealthy trends that encourage people to “earn their bodies” or “look better naked” instead of celebrating overall transformations of health and wellness?

I have given a lot of thought to this conundrum. I was using this opportunity to brag on people I care about,  but did I miss the forest for the trees? It is true I do not believe that before and after pictures capture the essence of the entire transformation. Clothing sizes and body shape can change, but so can confidence, attitudes and self image. When I see these pictures, I see the stories behind the sparkle in their eyes. I know that dad is now confidently coaching his son’s soccer team, when before he hid on the sidelines ashamed, unable to keep up with the day’s activities. I know that behind that beautiful smile there is a woman who refuses to roll over and let the same diseases cut her life short that affected her family members. I know that in the after picture, I am seeing a mother of four who has decided to make her health a priority after spending years catering to her children and neglecting herself. I know that athlete has not touched a drop of alcohol in 604 days. I know these stories and more.

I am thankful that Hartwig’s comments made me question and evaluate the attitude that I am promoting. I desire to be intentional and consistent with the message I send out into the world. The truth is, there are so many stories of success that would not be evident in a side-by-side comparison of then and now. Many athletes have not experienced dramatic alterations in their physical appearance, but they have undergone life-changing internal changes, leading to a happier, healthier, more confident self. A picture would not do these changes justice. You would need to talk to these people. Hear their stories. Take time to truly listen. Be inspired. Be motivated. Then get back to work on your own story.





No comments:

Post a Comment